Slidell is the largest city on the North Shore of Lake Pontchartrain and typically offers good buys in houses. There are houses listed on the web site starting in the low $40,000 range all the way up to half a million dollars. Houses generally have plenty of trees and yard and are in a peaceful setting.
Slidell was founded on the north shore of Lake Pontchartrain in 1882 and 1883 during the construction of the New Orleans and Northeastern Railroad. The line connected New Orleansto Meridian, Mississippi. The town was named in honor of American politician and Confederate ambassador to France John Slidell, father-in-law of real estate developer Baron Frederic Emile d’Erlanger and officially chartered by the Louisiana State Legislature in 1888.
Slidell has a long and illustrious history. One of the earlier settlers to the area was John William Gause; Gause Avenue is named for him. Along with a younger brother, Wesley Coke Asbury Gause, Judge Wingate, and several others, they left North Carolina and arrived atPearlington, Mississippi in 1836. Wesley and his family decided to remain there, while John and his family crossed the Pearl River and built a log cabin on the west bank, just a little further south.
Gause then began a lumber mill in the fledgling town. His traveling back and forth from lumber yard to home created the road known today as Gause Boulevard, a major east/west street. The lumber yard was where Gause Boulevard crosses the railroad track. His log cabin was built at the very east end of the road, just a few yards from the river. His house stood until the late 1990s, and a small family burial plot still remains, where John is buried between his two wives, Lydia Russ and Johanna Frederica VanHeemskerk.
Around 1910, Slidell began a period of economic and industrial growth. A large creosote plant was built, and Slidell became home to the Fritz Salmen Brickyard, a major producer of bricks later named St. Joe Brick. Interstate 10, Interstate 59 and Interstate 12 helped Slidell become acrossroads.
In 1915, the creosote plant burned to the ground, was rebuilt on Bayou Lane, closer to a water source and fire station but was abandoned in 1986. A boat launch and Heritage Park were constructed on the former site.
With the advent of the U.S. space program in the 1960s, NASA opened the Michoud Assembly Facility in New Orleans, the John C. Stennis Space Center in nearby Bay St. Louis, Mississippi, and a NASA computer center on Gause Boulevard. This nearly tripled Slidell’s population over a period of ten years, and the city became a major suburb of New Orleans. Slidell is home to the National Weather Service forecast office for the New Orleans and Baton Rouge area. Slidell is also the headquarters of Vesco Tennis Courts, a privately held firm specializing in construction of hard surfaces for outdoor sports facilities. In addition to all this industry, Slidell hosts several parade krewes each Carnivalseason.